With the help of web analytics you can turn lead generation into lead conversion. Our guide shows you what tools you'll need and how to get there.
Lead generation is a key business task in digital marketing, allowing you to find quality leads who are ready and even happy to try your product. It is also a process that needs constant improvement. That’s where web analytics can help improve your lead gen results.
So in this article, we will show you how to use analytics to improve lead conversions, with the help of some of the best analytics tools available.
Lead generation: statistics
- 61% of marketers say that the traffic generation and attraction of potential customers is the main problem.
- Content marketing is a lead generation tactic for 88% of B2B marketers [PDF].
- Converting leads into customers is a top priority for 74% of companies.
- Marketing automation to potential visitors attracts 451% more customers.
- Landing page tests are used by only 17% of marketers as a tool to increase conversion rates.
Increase lead generation with Google Analytics
It is the world’s largest e-commerce metrics analysis tool. Provides a lot of information about the target audience. For example, habits, behaviours, and browsing history.
Getting started with Google Analytics is easy. You need to register an account, get a tracking ID and add it to the site. This will ensure that the data is sent. The identifier is added by inserting a code into each page of the site (the
<head> tag is added).
Some metrics that can be learned from Google Analytics and where to find them (in bold and italic):
- New User Conversion – the number of people who buy on their first visit. Tracking and analysis will help you determine which marketing channels are attracting quality users. Traffic Sources -> All Traffic -> Channels
- Price per action. Shows how much money a company spends to bring a user to a conversion. Includes the price of interaction at different points. We recommend segmenting the received data. The CPA of regular and new customers varies.
- Output. Improve conversions by eliminating the reasons for leaving the site. Exit page analysis will reveal weaknesses in the funnel. Behavior -> Site Content -> Exit Pages
- Goals. Identify the ones, that users want to complete and track the path to them. It is recommended that you create goals that are not directly related to purchases. Better to tie them to, for example, shipping tools or sizing charts. Here you can also find out the conversion rate of the goal and then increase it through small site improvements. Conversions -> Goals -> Overview
- Search. It considers the queries that users enter into the search bar of a resource. To improve results and quickly get users to the desired product, it is worth creating fix proposals. Behavior -> Site Search -> Searches
- The length of the path to conversion. A lot of time passes between the first interaction with the company and the fulfillment of the goal. By reducing it, you make the customer journey shorter. This is valuable. Conversions -> Multi-Channel Funnels -> Time to Conversion
5 analytics tools to improve lead generation
The most effective activities are achieved through a good understanding of the target audience. The more you know about the priorities, desires and preferences of your customers, the easier it is for you to offer them the corresponding benefits.
We decided to help you to save time. To do this, we have selected the best services that analyse various indicators and are suitable for any marketing activity.
1. Lead Forensics
The program allows you to track the behaviour of site visitors comprehensively. Gives an understanding of what content the audience values. Collects information about visitors. In particular, IP address, contact and demographic information.
Each interaction session forms a “trace”. Receiving the visitor’s IP address, the program gives information about who exactly visited the site. You don’t even need to fill out a request form for this. From that moment when a visitor enters the site, the program determines the IP address, further linking actions to a specific guest.
The software analyzes user behavior, but it is much more detailed than the previous tool. Also provides feedback. It is a great addition to web analytics data.
Hotjar is good at visualizing user behavior. In particular, through heatmaps showing clicks and actions. Supplemented with surveys and session recordings, they provide insight into how and for what purposes the audience uses the site.
- Heatmaps. The longer and more often you interact with a specific page / section of the site, the brighter they are displayed.
- Entries. You see, the entire user session so you can easily fix the flaws. Perhaps some button is not working. Also, sometimes the content on the page may not display correctly. Maybe it’s the UX. Now there is nothing to make assumptions about. The entire session, from the moment you enter the site until you close the tab, is visible in the recording.
- Polls, feedback forms and reports. A simple tool that demonstrates the benefits that a person receives from visiting a site. It shows where engagement is dropping. Provides an opportunity to correct shortcomings by making such pages more useful and interesting.
The program is easy to configure. Integrates with Google Tag Manager. Easy installation allows it to be hosted on almost any platform including Shopify stores.
An excellent assistant for companies operating in the B2B market. It is a sales tool. Allows you to find out about the companies visiting the site, as well as the products they are looking for. Identifies the organization precisely. The tool integrates with your Google Analytics to provide company identification. It can also connect to CRM and email components to provide additional information and improve the management process.
Visitors are tracked through:
- Google Analytics
- offline tracking codes.
In the first case, it connects to your site’s Google Analytics. After that, it is possible to generate network reports. The companies that visited the resource are indicated in them. The service also provides additional information that appears on your control panel.
For the second method, the program generates offline tracking codes for site visitors. Determine the IP addresses of the visitors. Such a small detail opens up wide possibilities of types and methods of company search for a guaranteed and correct identification. The program also uses additional databases.
Leadfeeder will tell you:
- how the visitor found the site;
- location of the client;
- which pages of the site were viewed;
- contact information for communication.
This information can help you to understand and research your target audience better. Data is powerful. In particular, the information can be used to develop marketing activities, generate leads and direct sales.
4. SE Ranking
A great tool that allows you to find the keys to get leads. It will delight you with a friendly interface and efficiency. You can use it to find keywords that meet the goals of your advertising campaign and business and will also lead you to deals. Thanks to the multifunctionality of the service, you can not only receive orders but also evaluate your effectiveness. You will be one step ahead of the competition with it. The work algorithm is:
- Identify the main players in the market using the competitor research tool.
- Find and analyze your competitor’s paid keywords with the tool. Filter and remove “free” (those that suggest something free), irrelevant keywords and queries that don’t match your geolocation.
- Choose the most relevant and profitable keywords (the ones with the best CPC metrics).
- Study SEO keywords and remove unnecessary ones.
- Cluster your SEO keywords.
- Create a pivot table of intersections of SEO keys and PPC keys. See which clusters were involved.
- Use the resulting clusters in your work.
This tool will be useful for companies that are already generating traffic but want to increase conversions. The service allows for A/B and multi-channel interface testing. Provides information about the behaviour of visitors. If you don’t know where to place a button or how to make a background, then Google Optimize will be very useful.
- A/B/N testing. Allows you to create several variants of one page and determine the most effective one to achieve your goals.
- Testing related to forwarding. In this case, the behaviour of visitors on individual pages is tracked. Each is identified with a unique URL.
- Multivariate testing. The number of tracked pages is represented by several sections of the site at once.
A business doesn’t exist without clients. For the success, promotion and growth of a company, you need a following in the form of loyal customers. At the same time, few marketers pay due attention to analytics. Although it demonstrates real customer preferences.
We have selected the lightest and most effective lead generation analytics tools. We hope they will help you to improve your results. Get to know your customers, and then there will be no problems with lead generation, conversion, or other tasks.